From The Statehouse to the Schoolhouse, Volume 184(July 11th, 2021)
On July 1 Coalition Plaintiffs in the EdChoice Voucher Case Filed a Response to the State’s Motion to Dismiss. 12 Organizations Filed 6 Amicus Briefs in Support of the Plaintiff’s Brief.
Attorneys representing the Coalition/Vouchers Hurt Ohio plaintiffs filed an exceptionally strong brief in opposition to the state’s motion to dismiss. Seven statewide education organizations filed 3 briefs and 5 other organizations filed 3 briefs.
The amicus briefs filed are:
- Ohio School Boards Association (OSBA), Buckeye Association of School Administrators (BASA), and Ohio Association of School Business Officials (OASBO)
- Ohio Association of Public School Employees (OAPSE), American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME Local 4), and American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
- Southeastern Ohio Legal Services (SEOLS), The Legal Aid Society of Columbus, The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, Community Legal Aid Services Inc., Advocates for Basic Legal Equality Inc., Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Disability Rights Ohio, The Ohio Poverty Law Center, and The League of Women Voters of Ohio
- Heights Coalition for Public Education, Northeast Ohio Friends of Education, and Public Education Partners (PEP)
- Council 8 American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (OC8 AFSCME), and American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
- Ohio Education Association (OEA), and Ohio Federation of Teachers (OFT)
It is significant that all major school union and management groups filed in support of the plaintiffs. Equally significant is that 4 public education advocacy organizations and the Southeastern Ohio Legal Services and the Council 8 American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees union filed briefs in support of the plaintiffs.
This outpouring of support for the elimination of the EdChoice voucher program sends a strong message to public officials and the general public.
Learn more about the EdChoice voucher litigation
VOUCHERS HURT OHIO